Have you ever carried a headache, stress or stiffness to the office and came back delivering no output that day?
It happens with many of us owing to many reasons, but it is actually “Stress” that turns out to be the biggest stumbling block that reduces productivity at work.
Through this write-up, I’ll tell you how stress can play a chief role in decreasing your productivity and ways to cope up with this major downfall.
A Forbes study is unaided enough to prove that stress leads to less productive employees.Let’s find out how stress decreases productivity at work. Click To Tweet
Let’s understand what are the common reasons that cause stress and ultimately affect productivity:
- Excessive work pressure
- Unrealistic deadlines
- Rude bosses
- No leaves
- No personal/family time
- Work on weekends
- Lack of authority on the assigned work
- Backbiting culture at workplace
- Not getting recognition for the work done
- Less pay scale
- More travel time to work
Above are only a few of the many reasons as to what causes stress in employees. Few learn to survive with it while others remain in fear.Is stress obstructing your productivity? Read out why it happens & what steps you must take. Click To Tweet
Stress can also be overcome with constant tries and determination. There are certain ways which have proven to be helpful in decreasing stress levels at work.
Here, not only the stressed person plays a major part, but bosses, colleagues, and even family members have a critical role to play.
- At workplace try and maintain a friendly relationship with one and all. Smile at everyone around and be a pleasant personality.
It will automatically reduce the number of squabbles and arguments that may happen if the person is too outspoken or rude with words.
- Get more sleep. Reach fresh to the office and start the day with positive energy.
- In the case of any problems, instead of talking to everyone in the office and discussing it, talk straight to your reporting manager. He will be the right person to tackle such situations.
- Never hesitate in work delegation. Believe in your team and people around. If you are overburdened and think that other colleague can also finish the task, feel free to ask for help or if there is a subordinate, simply delegate.
This way, not only you know the art of delegating well, but you can also test rough waters and know the real talent and capabilities of people around.
- Regular exercise is a sure shot stress reliever. Make out time for physical activities.
If you have a gymnasium at the workplace, well and good but if you don’t have it, you can choose to do the same at home and talk walk during lunch breaks also.
This will make you feel lighter, and you hit back the chair with full energy.
- Do not try to prove yourself by working in all shifts. Always remember your body needs rest too which in turn gives peace to your mind.
Have quality sleep but working in any one chosen shift. Firstly, this way you increase your productivity and secondly, you make yourself more organized.
- Get fun at work. After all how many of us want to be serious all day and work?
Plan projects in such a way where in between some breaks can be taken and a light snack and tea can be arranged.
Or advise the bosses to arrange conferences at some hill stations may be for a day or two which can be quite revitalizing for everyone.
- Decreasing stress levels at work can be very easy if you give it your best shot and try to improve things around. An office is like a second home to most of us. If we communicate properly with colleagues, many things can be made as easy as making sugar from sugarcane.
The Yes/No factor
We all understand that NO is a complete sentence and it does not require any explanation or further justification.
But, in reality, we hesitate to say No for many such works which we don’t wish to do. Same applies at the workplace also.
In case you are overburdened with work learn to say ‘NO.’ No matter what, but never agree to things your inner soul disagrees.
Talk to the bosses and let them know the real scenario. Setting boundaries is also very practical and healthy. Just like our personal life, even at the workplace if required, we should not waver to think of ourselves first.
Try this and trust me, you will be more respected and valued in the workplace. Take care of yourself and know your real worth by putting your treasured time in the things you are best at.
Managers can play a great role
It is well known that a workplace is exactly the reflection of the leaders or bosses or managers in the office. If the bosses are laid back and sluggish in real life, it will be reflected in the office and team members too.
Managers should develop a deeper understanding of the team and why an employee is stressed. They must try and know each and every fact for the stress caused.
If a manager is capable enough and if he cares, he can bring the situation under control at a very early stage. On the other hand, any leader can worsen the situation, if he is not worried about his team and stress reasons.
Employees with significant commitment and goals for the organization leave no stone unturned to get good luck to the company.
Reducing their stress levels can improve engagement levels for other employees too. Their sense of satisfaction and efforts can be an example to many workers around.Browse here how stress builds up negativity that leads to low productivity levels at a workplace. Click To Tweet
Stress in today’s competitive world is a common thing, but an excess of it can interfere with emotional, personal and physical health too.
Many employees get depressed to such an extent that they see no way out other than changing or may be leaving the jobs they are currently in.
I hope this write-up will help you working on the drawbacks and root cause of your stress at an office.